Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sending a Message That You Don’t Care

Christine Pearson writes in the NYT that misusing electronic devices at work can send the wrong message. She and her colleagues and I have gathered data on incivility from more than 9,000 managers and workers across the United States. The verdict?

Chances are that if you ignore your colleagues while jabbering on your cellphone, keep others waiting for an appointment while you check your e-mail or send something electronically that should be delivered in person, some people will see you as inconsiderate.

Makes sense. She advises keeping your own use of electronic devices at a minimum when interacting with others. If you have an urgent need to use one, let others know.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Unless you're a surgeon on call and it's literally a matter of life and death, you don't need your phone on you at all times and you certainly don't need to answer every call/text immediately.

I also call bullshit on people who insist that I'm being rude by choosing to rarely answer my phone. What's rude is answering it when I'm with someone else.

Chris said it best: "If I'm watching a movie, that's what I'm doing. If you're calling me, that's what you're doing."

Obviously I have strong feelings on this matter...

Stupid Pupil said...

I leave my phone on silent whenever I go out in public. I think it's courteous. I find most ringtones are very obnoxious.

The popularity of mobile devices has made people think that you ARE available to them whenever they need you. It's almost as if people think, "You have a cell phone, you WANT to be made available at ALL TIMES."